Charges filed in Kensington shooting

Three juveniles were arrested and charged in connection with an attempted homicide that happened in Kensington early Saturday morning.

At approximately 12:27 a.m., officers responded to the 200 block of Lavender Street to find a 19-year-old male suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to the Washington Hospital Center and is listed in serious but stable condition.

According to charging documents, officers later identified the men as Langston Moore, 18, Shaquille Mills, 18, and Joshua Haynes, 17.

According to charging documents, an unnamed 17-year-old who had been with the men admitted that he was in a parked Ford Explorer when Moore and the man asked him for a cigarette. The juvenile then left the vehicle, but return at approximately 12:27 a.m. because the man had been robbed.

During that time Moore was able to break a back window and get into the passenger’s seat of the Explorer, according to the documents. Mills and Haynes were in the backseat.

The juvenile told police Moore asked for a cigarette and, at 12:38 a.m., got into a verbal argument with the man when Moore pulled out a handgun and fired two shots into the man’s head and body, according to the documents.

Another witness who lived in the building next door told police he heard two shots and someone saying “Another one! Another one!” He then saw Moore pointing his gun at him and tried to run to the other apartment, the documents said. Police recovered a .45 caliber Smith & Wesson handgun on a nearby bench.

Police interviewed Moore, Mills and Haynes. Moore allegedly told police that he shot the man. Haynes claimed the shooting was self-defense. Mills allegedly told police that the shooting was an accident.

All three suspects were charged with attempted murder, three counts of assault 1st degree, two counts of assault 2nd degree, three counts of conspiracy to commit assault 1st degree, one count of destruction of property, and one count of destruction of property 2nd degree.

The following night, a 47-year-old man was shot multiple times in the early morning hours of Sept. 21. The victim, Gary Williams, was shot at approximately 1:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of South Prospect Street. Williams was transported to Howard University Hospital with what police called life-threatening injuries. Williams is listed in good condition.

Police apprehended the suspects in connection with the Williams shooting at about 3:50 a.m. during a traffic stop on W. Kensington Ave. The suspects were taken into custody at this time.

“Gun violence is an epidemic that takes lives and destroys families. The individual(s) responsible for last night’s shooting should be brought to justice,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. “These three individuals are facing charges for a despicable act that seems to have been targeting an individual.”

Leave a Comment