Toronto parents charged after toddler dies from ingesting illicit drugs last year

This article is over 3 months old

The 20-month-old is the fifth child to die after ingesting drugs in Toronto this year

Toronto parents charged after toddler dies from ingesting illicit drugs last year

The parents of a 20-month-old who died after ingesting drugs in Toronto were charged on Monday with second-degree murder and making or selling child abuse material, according to Toronto police.

Two-year-old Qian Yang was found unresponsive in her sleep at her parent’s apartment by her five-year-old sister in July 2017.

Child deaths connected to fentanyl surge in Canada Read more

She died shortly after. Toronto police alleged that the child had ingested toxic amounts of cocaine and a “variety of illegal drugs” on the morning of her death.

The last fatal overdose in Toronto involving cocaine was in 2003.

“What happened to little Qian wasn’t an accident,” Anna Magler, the spokeswoman for the Toronto police service, said in a statement. “This was cruel and deliberate. This family is now being held responsible.”

Investigators alleged that Yang had ingested drugs at home on the morning of her death, and that her cocaine was found in her system along with traces of other drugs.

Chemists said that cocaine is now such a potent drug that it can be especially dangerous for young children to ingest and harm them in ways that can take months or years to recover from.

Leave a Comment